Monday, July 11, 2005

First Day of Class

So today was the first day of Electronic Communication Systems (ECom). From the lecture today, it seems like the class is going to be primarily lecture and very little lab. Honestly, I bet the only lab we really have is the construction of the transmitter and receiver circuits. Ah well... I guess that means mostly Engineering, woo! hehe. Well, there's a new guy in the class and I think his name is Michael. I'm not sure. Anyway, if I remember correctly, he tends not to think before he speaks... which usually gets him into trouble. Last term he almost got beat up cuz he said something derogatory to a black guy. Ah well.

My drive back here was okay. I was pretty aware of what was going on most of the drive down (good thing eh?). I called Zay a ways into the drive to ease my boredom, but she had to go so that was shortlived. Then she called me back and I think we talked for a about 45 minutes, but she was tired too so she went to bed. For the remainder of the drive, I spent my drive listening to political talk radio and pondering the bipartisan politics concerning present day situations. I noticed that there's a lot blame being thrown around both parties. I was intrigued when they labeled each other Rights and Lefts pertaining to each wing affiliation. There were valid arguments as to why these situations in London, Iraq, New York, etc were happening. There were obviously terrorist attacks but each party believed the attacks were fueled by different things. Apparently, the Liberals (Lefts) believe it's because the United States screwed up in the 70's, 80's, & 90's with a poor foreign affairs doctrine, claiming that the United States' actions in the past triggered the recent attacks. They blame the Rights for focusing too much on Iraq and not enough on Al Qaeda. The Conservatives (Rights) believe these attacks to be a strategic maneuver to undermine the morale and determination of specific countries (i.e. The UK). They blame the Lefts for being illogical and criticizing the War in Iraq.

Quite honestly, I lean more towards the Rights and agree that Iraq has to set up a Democratic Gov't in which all citizens elect officials to spearhead the government. In doing so, a politically unique Iraq can be an example to other countries and serve to effectively counter terrorism. However, as far as blaming goes... I don't really care. Why blame someone else? Frankly, blaming each other isn't going to help the United States in the long run. All blame is doing is causing unrest and divisions within the country. Why allow ourselves to do that again? If I remember correctly, Vietnam did the same thing to people in this country. Those soldiers were pulled out and they received no recognition, no parade, no honor when they returned home. In the end, the biggest mistake the United States did at that time was pull its troops out. Yes, it was costly to America, but because America went in and intervened in the first place, I would argue that it was more costly to those countries that were engulfed in that conflict. Had the United States stuck it out, things may have turned out differently, who knows. My point is, don't remove the troops from Iraq until Iraq is ready to be Iraq, on its own, self-sufficient, unique, dynamic. Doing so may repeat the devastations of Vietnam and the years that followed.

So I didn't mean to go on that shpeil, but that's what I did for another 2 or 3 hours :-) Anyway... it's getting late, and I'm tired... class again tomorrow, boo. Catch you guys later!

Cau!

1 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm...good connection to Vietnam...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home