Monday, June 20, 2005

Some Thoughts

So one of my roommates went to see his kid graduate from High School this past weekend and got some movies from his son. One of them was the Tuskegee Airmen. I hadn't ever seen it, but I did hear some pretty good reviews. I didn't really know anything about the the Tuskegee Airmen. In fact, I thought it was just going to be another of those WWII warplane movies. I was only partially correct.

Turns out the movie is centered and based around the 99th Fighter Squadron and 332nd Fighter Group. These groups were an all Black fighter group. Meaning, all the pilots of the 332nd Fighter Group were colored. So what I thought was going to be just a shoot'em up movie turned out to express motifs that I could specifically relate: social racism, trials, perseverence, overcoming hardships, and respect.

It's taken a long time to see. And I think I've been slowly realizing it all this time, but watching this movie made me reflect on the current racial issues. Has it gotten better? I think by a little. Is it still there? Yes, most definitely. However, it's not the racism that I think society has come to define. It's taboo to be racist. It's such a taboo that parents make it very hush hush and discourage their kids from ever talking about people of different colors.

To make an example, I was out with a few friends. We were helping a classmate move since his family lived in Claremore (about 30 minutes north of Tulsa). Well, they were kind enough to pay for our breakfast. His youngest son, four at the time, took to liking me right away. This was evident in the fact that he wouldn't stop talking to me. I liked him from the start... he kinda reminded me of myself when I was that age. I feel old having said that... hehe. Anyway, we were at the breakfast/lunch restaurant (Hugo's - amazing place by the way - awesome food for cheap!) and we had sat down waiting for our seats. Out of nowhere, he turns around and asks me, "Why are you so dark?" and after seeing the slightly confused look on my face and then smile, followed with, "You're a different color than me." Not really knowing what to say, having never fielded a question like that before, I told him that I just like to tan a lot. He obviously didn't get it cuz he responded with a "But I turn red when I go out in the sun." So I started to explain to him that people aren't all the same color. That people in different parts of the world are different colors and that each has their own kewl culture. He didn't get it cuz he just kept asking away and saying that he was white and that I wasn't. Hehe.

Well his mother, after overhearing our conversation quickly pulled him to the side and had a quick word with him. I couldn't tell what she was saying, but fact of the matter is she didn't want him talking about that topic. I was having a blast with it because, well... he's 4 years old. He doesn't know better, but he was curious. And I wanted him to understand. Needless to say, he didn't talk about the subject anymore and he looked kinda mad/irritated. I didn't press the issue because his mom would've been kinda mad I guess.

Anyway, that's the new face of racism I believe. It's not an up front, in your face way of speaking(however, I believe that is still alive as well, just look at the KKK). It's hush, hush... and kept under wraps. I understand why his mother did that, but honestly, I would have liked to just talk about it. So I believe racism is not just up front. I get looks nearly everywhere I go. As if there's something wrong with me. It's not something I hold against people; in fact, I've grown accustomed to it. But if you're curious, just ask. Or if you don't like me because I'm different, just say so. It's a lot easier to confront and discuss about if the topic is thrown out there rather than, oh... but it's taboo, I shouldn't say anything. Yes, I might get mad. Yes, you might get mad. But you know what? Better get mad and discuss the issue rather than skirt around it.

So those are my two cents. Crazy I got all that from a movie huh? hehe. If you have any comments or want to discuss it some more, please leave comments, e-mail me, or give me a call. My number is (630) 207-3109. I'm usually available after 3pm Central Time.

Hope all you guys made it down here, I know that was a fair bit of writing. :-P
I also hope to hear from ya. :-)

1 Comments:

At 10:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

rock on dude! the four year old part was the best :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home